Gutter Guard – Product Comparison
There are plenty of options to consider when shopping for Gutter Guards. While none are perfect, we believe GutterBrush offers the best simple, affordable solution to keep gutters flowing, reduce cleaning and prevent expensive water damage caused by clogged gutters.
Common Gutter Guard Failures
Reviews and comments and photos below collected from a variety of home improvement websites, product reviews, customer feedback and our personal experience.
Screens – Metal or Plastic
- Readily available in stores
- Fairly easy to install
- Pine needles, seeds and small debris can clog screen.
- Water and Ice can build up under shingles.
- Dirt and rusting screen can stain gutter face and home
- Collapse under weight of ice, snow, fallen limbs, etc.
- Frequently blow out during severe wind or weather
- Difficult to access gutters for maintenance or cleaning
Gutter Cover / Reverse Curve
- Can be effective against large leaves
- Reduces gutter opening, allowing water overflow in heavy rain
- Small debris flows into gutters, builds up and causes a clog or requires cleaning.
- Shingles must be lifted to install or service gutters. Roof warranty problems.
- Difficult to remove system for any cleaning or maintenance
- Shelter for Wasps, Birds & Rodents to Nest
- Expensive – $12 - $30+ per foot
Foam / Sponge Filter
- Easy installation
- Not visible from ground
- Effective against most large debris
- Cells become filled with roof shingle grit, pollen, dust and compost resulting in overflows.
- Moisture retained attracts insects, including mosquitoes and ant colonies.
- Cleaning is difficult to remove small debris from cells
- Common to see shrinkage or crumbling of these products within a few years.
- Blocks maximum amount of both large and small debris
- Tiny micro mesh openings can be overcome during a heavy rain and result in significant run off.
- Dirt, dust, pollen & sap can build up over time and reduce the volume of water flow through the mesh.
- Expensive – Professional installation required $18 - $35 / ft.
- Easiest install & removal - No tools required
- Effective barrier to most leaves & debris
- No interference with roof or shingles
- Use with existing gutters any roof or gutter type
- Entire gutter channel remains open for heaviest rain
- Prevents bird, insect and rodent nesting
- Affordable – Approx $3.33 / ft DIY or $5 - $7 / ft. for professional installation
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Small debris (ie: pine needles, maple seeds) can work their way into brush over time and may require occasional cleaning or maintenance. Usually this limited debris will not cause a clog, but should be shaken out of brush to maintain optimal performance.
- May be slightly visible with bristles crowning top of gutter.